Health and Social Benefits of Gardening
If you are looking for an outdoor hobby that is meaningful, why not try gardening? We believe that gardening is an excellent hobby to take up. It may not be an activity that you typically envision yourself of engaging; however, there are health and social benefits that you can acquire from gardening as suggested by local non-profit organizations.
Here are some of the many health and social benefits of gardening:
- Health Benefits
- Exposure to Vitamin D. When you go outside and get exposed to sunlight, you also get exposed to Vitamin D. Vitamin D increases your calcium levels, making your bones strong and boosting your immune system.
- Good exercise. When you become so fixated on the task at hand, you forget that you are already sweating and burning calories. Gardening also helps you improve your work muscles.
- Mood enhancer. Gardening stimulates your mind and reduces stress. It also gives your self-esteem a boost, especially when you see how your plants and crops grow.
- Healthy diet. You can harvest fruits and vegetables from your own garden. Since they are known to have healthy components, eating them will make you healthy.
- Social Benefits
- Eliminating social barriers. When neighbors see you plant crops in your backyard, it may occur to them to do the same. You will have something in common to talk about when you are all doing the same activity.
- Building stronger relationships. When you and your neighbors share your knowledge about gardening and help each other, you will have better relationships with them. Gardening brings people closer together as pointed out by charitable organizations in Florida.
How about we build a fire under gardening activities to have a healthier and happier community? SapiBon Foundation, Inc. offers tips and suggestions on how to get started on gardening in the hopes of encouraging families, including seniors and children, to build a community farm that can serve as a food source.
There are many other ways for you to learn the art and language of gardening. You may want to read a book or other reading materials to learn more on the steps of getting started. If you have internet at home, you can watch gardening video tutorials on your mobile phone, computer, or laptop on how to grow fruits and vegetables. If you want to make your learning a group activity, there are classes for horticulture. You can also find TV channels that show guides on how to do gardening.
If you have any thoughts and ideas on how to do gardening, please share them with us by leaving your comments in the comment section below.
Please feel free to share our blog with your friends and families. Let us help each other in sharing the health and social benefits of gardening. It is a dream come true for every charitable organization in Fort Lauderdale, Florida to have a community that promotes good health and good relations with one another.